If you’re a Canon hybrid shooter you have a new champion lens. Canon has just announced the RF 24-105mm F2.8 L IS USM Z, with constant f/2.8 max aperture, full-frame coverage. Its ability to zoom though to true portrait-length 105mm makes this lens a smooth operator.
RF 24-105mm F2.8 L IS USM Z FEATURES
- World’s first 24-105mm focal length combined with consistent f/2.8 maximum aperture
- Supports optional Canon Power Zoom Adapters
- 11 aperture blades
- Smooth, click-less iris ring for precise lens aperture control
- Close-focusing to under 1.5 feet (0.45m) at all focal lengths
- Maximum magnification 0.29x at the 105mm zoom setting
- Optical Image Stabilisation up to 5.5 stops of shake correction and Coordinated Control (IS up to 8.0 stops with cameras equipped with IBIS)4
- Nano USM maintains focus while zooming
- Outstanding handling with included tripod mount featuring lock release button
- Dust- and water-resistant structure and lens fluorine coating
This lens is good for you whether you shoot stills only, video only or both. The fast f/2.8 aperture will give wedding shooters incredible low light performance without having to bump up ISO.
There’s also a power zoom adapter for video. The PZ-E2 attaches to the side for motorised smooth zooming.
A manual aperture control ring will give the operator extremely fine iris adjustments, minus the click-stops during video capture.
When it comes to Image Stabilisation you’ll get 5.5 stops of correction, 8 stops with coordinated IS.
The RF 24-105mm F/2.8 is a 23-element design with a minimum focus distance of 45cm. Zooming and focusing is internal, so the lens does not extend. Perfect for balancing on camera rigs. Autofocus is driven by two Nano USM Focus Motors. Canon says it has ‘good’ correction for focus breathing.
Given this is a sizeable lens there’s a new tripod mount design for quick removal and a lens support bracket for rigs.
The RF 24-105mm F2.8 L IS USM Z will set you back A$5,399.