Going handsfree has never been easier with Laser’s A$169 (just $148 here) CarPlay and Android Auto Wireless Touchscreen. Part of Laser’s Navig8r range, the screen is easily mounted on a dash of a car that doesn’t have a smart display.
It connects wirelessly to iOS and Android phones so drivers can use CarPlay or Android Auto. The unit is powered by a cigarette lighter adapter and connects to your in-car stereo via FM radio or 3.5mm audio cable (supplied).
Once paired, you can store your phone safely out of sight while driving.
It was very easy to setup and worked well with CarPlay. I’ll get to Android Auto later when I finish my full video review. I started with the 3.5mm stereo input but had a little hum coming through the speakers so I switched to the FM transmitter. It was perfect. The unit has a built-in speaker so if you don’t have a working stereo you can still listen through the device.
Despite its price, the Navig8r 7” Portable Wireless Touchscreen delivers some clever features, including the ability to add a reversing camera.
- Navigation – Whether the user prefers Apple Maps, Google Maps, Waze, or another mapping product, latest maps can be integrated with real time features just as would be seen on your smartphone. The user can issue voice instructions to get directions while driving.
- Music – stream, cast, or play favourite songs, playlists, and podcasts. Any app on the users smartphone such as Spotify, Apple Music, Amazon Music and so on can be displayed on the touchscreen, and songs and actions undertaken with voice command.
- Messaging – touchless and by voice. Whether using Whatsapp, SMS, WeChat or other messaging platforms, the user can have messages read aloud, or simply speak aloud speech to be converted to text ready to send.
- Handsfree calling – Leave your phone in your pocket and dial numbers or contacts simply by talking. Use voice commands to check your calendar, play podcasts or engage in a team’s meeting.
- AirPlay and MiraCast – cast content from your phone (or tablet) onto the screen. Kids can watch streaming services from your phone on the screen when used in the backseat. While this feature might be restricted in cars with CarPlay built-in, the Navig8r Portable Wireless Touchscreen has multiple uses even out of the car thanks to its portability.
- Powered by USB – take it anywhere and keep it powered through any USB power source
- 7″ LCD screen with IPS – Using a high quality In-Plane-Switching LCD panel, the 7″ screen offers improved colour accuracy and consistency as well as a wider viewing angle.
- Bluetooth & Wifi – Wireless connection from your smartphone means the phone can be left in the users pocket, handbag or backpack. Once connected, the pairing is saved so that next time the user gets into the car their phone is automatically re-connected.
- FM transmitter – with a choice of preset stations on the device, it can be simply tuned to FM radio to be enjoyed via the cars audio system or the device’s built-in speaker.
- Extendable Windscreen mount – offers a variety of installation options from close to the driver to a central located position. The extendable windscreen mount is adaptable for all windscreen types.
Add-On Accessory Available – Navig8r Reverse Camera | RRP $29.95
Given the price of this display and its connectivity options, I’m impressed. Laser boss Chris Lau has done a great job offering such an affordable, yet capable handsfree device to Australian drivers. Just in time for Christmas.