Deep inside the Sydney Opera House you’ll find technology that makes the UNESCO World Heritage-listed building one of the smartest on Earth. And – for the first time – it’s been seen on TV thanks to Image Matrix Tech.
In the Sky News Australia segment above, I take you on a tour of Honeywell’s technology that makes the Opera House clean and green. (An IM Tech mini-documentary in also in production)
The 6 Star Green Star rating from the Green Building Council of Australia (GBCA) was made possible by retrofitting the Sydney Opera House with Honeywell’s ready now technology to help support more sustainable operations and to reduce the building’s environmental impact.
But not only does this technology make the Opera House – a 50-year-old building – greener, it also makes the building better for audience members and staff.
“during a bushfire the Opera House is the best place to be as the air circulation system automatically shuts down outside air intakes”
For example, during a bushfire the Opera House is the best place to be as the air circulation system automatically shuts down outside air intakes. This keeps out smoke and other particulate matter.
Teams can more effectively monitor and control systems to support peak performance. The system captures information on ticket sales to enable efficient temperature scheduling in performance venues, switching heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) equipment on and off, and calculating baseline energy consumption. In instances of high energy demand, the BMS alerts the building to respond by selectively shedding electricity loads.
SUMMARY OF OPERA HOUSE TECHNOLOGY
- Creating a technology system that monitors indoor air quality (IAQ), and relative humidity (rH).
- Integrating more than 20 disparate subsystems in the building to help improve safety, energy and water usage.
- Implementing several innovations including electricity spot-price monitoring, extraction fan control in non-air conditioned (AC) areas and monitoring of cold room doors that remain open for too long.
- Automating outside air control through real-time air quality data from the Bureau of Meteorology (BoM).
- Identifying potential energy saving opportunities in the building, including the installation of more than 60 water meters and more than 800 electrical meters.
Although this Honeywell technology partnership is helping the Opera House meet its sustainability goals, it’s important to note that “sustainability is in the Sydney Opera House’s DNA” as recently stated by Louise Herron AM, CEO, Sydney Opera House.
Keep coming back to Image Matrix Tech so you don’t miss our mini documentary.